Design-Build Route 17 at Route 32 (Exit 131) Reconstruction
The Design-Build Team of Yonkers Contracting Company, Inc./HNTB/HVEA Engineers led the Route 17 at Route 32 (Exit 131) Reconstruction project. As one of the prime firms on this team, HVEA provided Construction Quality Control services for over 2 years on this regionally significant project. The centerpiece of this $134M project was the construction of a new diverging diamond interchange (DDI) at Exit 131. This project area had been a traffic congestion and an operational and safety problem due to the heavily traveled roadways, the Monroe-Woodbury Schools and the Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets.
In addition to the construction of the DDI, this project also included:
- Four (4) new integral abutment bridges. Two (2) replacements for the DDI carrying Route 32 over Route 17 and two (2) new structures for carrying Nininger Road under Route 32 with t-wall abutments.
- Two (2) modern roundabouts to facilitate connection of Nininger Road to Route 32 and WCPO.
- Reconstruction of approximately 1 mile of mainline Route 17 to meet interstate standards.
- ITS monitoring, permanent variable message signs and fiber connections to the DOT Transportation Management Center (TMC).
- Extensive utility work
- Reconstruction and expansion of park and ride facilities, installation of energy efficient “green” bus shelters utilizing solar power and also electric vehicle charging stations.
- Extensive closed drainage systems and post-construction stormwater management including dry swales, detention basins and bioretention treatment areas.
- Landscaping including median plantings, stormwater plantings and off-site wetland mitigation construction.
- Installation of cantilever and truss overhead sign structures.