Design-Build Westchester County Bridge Replacements
HVEA was responsible for leading the construction inspection and material testing services for this $70 million design-build bridge replacement project which included the following structures:
- BIN 5500050, East 3rd Street Bridge over the Hutchinson River and the Hutchinson River Parkway. A concrete tee beam, this structure is located in Pelham and Mt. Vernon.
- BIN 5500719, NYS Route 987D over the Saw Mill River. A concrete arch located in the Town of Greenburgh.
- BIN 5500739, NYS Route 987D over the Saw Mill River. A concrete tee beam located in the Town of Greenburgh.
This project encompassed the following:
- Removal of the existing substructures and superstructures
- Replacement of the existing bridges; including new foundation, substructures, superstructures, approach slabs and highway approaches within the existing ROW.
- Highway construction and reconstruction.
- Work zone traffic control.
- Coordination with and/or preservation of existing utilities.
- Remediation and disposal of asbestos containing material.
- Fabrication & installation of new guide and bridge railing
- Coordination with the local community and stakeholders.
HVEA’s Material Testing Group performed all on-site site testing of concrete, field compaction testing of compacted fills, single point field proctor, welding inspection and a variety of laboratory testing services including compression testing of concrete and 5-point proctor testing. The HVEA material testing group worked with the construction inspection staff, often meeting short requests for technicians and accelerated result reporting. Our testing technicians are well versed with NYSDOT specifications and provided an array of field and lab tests. This contract was progressed with an accelerated schedule.
HVEA’s field technicians were IAST certified by NYSDOT Region 8 staff, and their AASHTO/CCRL lab was inspected and audited by NYSDOT Regional staff and approved to perform testing services on the project.