Dutchess Rail Trail Stage 5
HVEA designed this highly anticipated shared-use path project that connects The Walkway over the Hudson to the existing Dutchess Rail Trail. There were significant drainage issues that were addressed along with the design of multiple access points and an at-grade crossing.
HVEA also completed the analysis of three existing railroad bridges that carry the trail through the City and Town of Poughkeepsie to be rehabilitated and/or retrofitted for bike path use. Design and inspection of the bridges included AASHTO load rating calculations and new bridge deck and bridge rail system analysis leading to steel rehabilitation along with the addition of a concrete deck to each structure.
This project included:
- Drainage analysis and design
- At-grade crossing
- Parking lot and access path design
- Lighting design
- AASHTO load rating analysis – through-girder RR bridge and two steel beam bridges
- Thermal expansion analysis of bridge and joint design
- NYSDOT Level 1 load ratings review
- Field inspection for determination of section loss to be used for the structural analysis