Job Description: Resident Engineer
HVEA Engineers is a recognized leader in the transportation field located in the Hudson Valley. We are noted for both providing the highest quality technical work and our consistent performance in responding to our clients’ needs and interest. Our reputation reflects excellence in our commitment to accuracy, professional expertise an exemplary client service.
HVEA provides a range of services including design and construction inspection of transportation infrastructure, consulting and construction materials testing services.
We are seeking a P.E. Resident Engineer with NYSDOT specifications and resident experience required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Supervise construction on highway and/or roadway projects and provide quality assurance that completed work is in compliance with the plans and specifications.
- Maintain accurate records and reports related to the project.
- Act as point of contact and coordinate directly with general contractor and negotiate change orders.
- Monitor progress against accepted construction schedule and review the Contractor’s progress reports. Assess the progress and inform the Project Manager and client in case of delay.
- Direct, assist and monitor the performance of Construction Inspection and Office Engineering staff.
- Oversee field site activities and provide technical advice on construction and design.
- Discuss deviations from specified construction materials and procedures with Engineer-In-Charge.
- Regularly review and approve contract submittals and payment applications to contractors.
- Participate in contract close-out activities.
- Conduct regular progress meetings with the contractor and appropriate personnel and report on any issues, as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or a related field.
- 5+ years of Inspection experience in bridge, highway and roadway projects, including a background in both field inspection and office engineering.
- NYSDOT and/or locally administered Federal Aid project experience.
- Current NYS Professional Engineer license.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret contract documents and construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong time management skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively manage project team members. Must be very organized and have effective problem solving, leadership and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects/deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
Physical Requirements of this position include:
The position requires the employee to work in potentially dangerous surroundings, sometimes in inclement weather conditions including rain. They must have the ability to lift to 50 pounds, walk and stand for extended periods of time.
This position may require the regular operation of a motor-vehicle, which may require remaining stationary for extended periods of time.
We offer competitive salaries, and a wide range of benefits, including:
- Comprehensive group health, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability and life insurance coverage.
- Opportunity for professional growth and advancement including tuition reimbursement.
- Paid time off.
- Eleven Company paid holidays.
- 401K retirement plan.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HVEA is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.